Dynea is one of the world’s leading producers of adhesives for industrial use, particularly for the wood and paper industry, but also for rock wool and glass fibre products. The company has been an important part of Norwegian industry since 1947, and the factory in Lillestrøm exudes experience, competence and quality. At this site they produce, among other things, formaldehyde through processes that includes evaporation of water and methanol through silver catalysts. In this process hydrogen is created, and this is used as fuel gas in the production of steam.
– Hydrogen has to be handled in a controlled and safe manner. If hydrogen mixes with oxygen ‘hydrogen knallgas’ can form and explode. Leakage is impossible to see, and therefore we rely on instruments that give us accurate and stabile measurements, says Christian Steen Øverland, senior engineer at Dynea.
– Additionally to 24 hours surveillance of the oxygen level in the hydrogen gas, we are subject to requirements from the Norwegian Environment Agency regarding dust emission from our adhesive dryer silos, says Øverland.
Tailored and robust
Seven analyzers from NEO Monitors monitor the critical emissions at Dynea. The cooperation was formed about five years ago.
– We needed to upgrade our monitor equipment. We contacted Neo Monitors and the competence and knowledge we met made our choice easy. The short physical distance to NEO Monitors main office also simplified the choice regarding service, maintenance and support, says Øverland.
– Control, safety and environment awareness is key when running a factory. These features have the highest priorities. We’ve never had such stabile and precise measurements as we have now, says Øverland.
The solutions installed at Dynea are LaserGas III and LaserDust II. LaserGas III measures O2 and is approved for zone 1. The gas monitor is approved according to IEC 61508 and SIL2, and consists of a sender and a receiver unit that are mounted right across from each other. This way it measures the average concentration of gas along the optical axis within typically 0,5 to 20 meters. The latter measures dust particles that are lost when filtering dust from the glue.
– These are robust solutions that can handle extreme environments and Norwegian weather conditions, says Øverland.
– The analyzers reports online to our surveillance system that secures continuous control. If any of the values were to differ from the set values, the whole production will stop. We are very happy with the solution and the cooperation we have with Neo Monitors. I have no problem giving my recommendation, concludes Øverland.